- Use appropriate containers/boxes and packing supplies. We carry a full line of boxes and moving supplies. Stop in to buy what you need.
- Fill containers to capacity or fill extra packets of space with packing material. Pack heavy items in small boxes.
- Label each box so you can find what you need. Leave space to reach back of unit and put frequently used items near the front.
- Don't use newspaper to pack anything that could be stained by the ink.
- Metal objects like tools and bikes should be wiped with a rag containing machine oil to avoid rust.
- Appliances should be clean and dry. Leave refrigerator or freezer doors ajar. Some goods can be stored in appliances and stacked on top of them.
- Pack books flat and put boxes with books or papers on skids or pallets to prevent moisture absorption.
- Clothing, curtains, and drapes should be cleaned and stored on hangers. Wardrobe boxes are available on site.
- Dishes and glassware boxes should have a layer of padding on top and bottom, and each item should be wrapped. Nest bowls and cups and stand plates on end. Fill all pockets with packing.
- Stand sofas and mattresses on end on a pallet or plastic sheet. Disassemble beds and tables and wrap legs or put them upside down on floor. Stack boxes on dressers and use drawers to store delicate items. Store light chairs inverted seat-to-seat.
- Save and use original holiday decoration cartons. Wrap Christmas lights around a piece of cardboard and put packing paper or newsprint around all of it inside a box.
- Wrap large lamp bases in padding and pad smaller lamps and put them in boxes.
- Pack delicate lampshades separately.
- Pack mirrors, windows, and record albums on edge.
Learn more about Storage Solutions' tips for packing and moving on the following pages: